Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Latest

Well, there hasn't been a whole lot going on to talk about lately. I'm still working at the clinic. Mostly counting pills, doing paper work, picking up whatever useful information I can. Three Wedesdays of the month we have bush clinics. Those are always nice. I especially liked going out to Lushomo, just because its home. Miss it. Tomorrow we head out to Shamilonga for a clinic.

I had thought I might get to go out on the next crusade and was actually planning on it, but then infection started to slowly creep back into my leg. So, I had to stay here because it is hard to keep things from getting infected in the bush, and the location for the crusade is even deeper in the bush than before (which actually made it even more appealing).

Last week there were some Malasian people here visiting from the Malamulo Mission Hospital in Malawi. I spent a few minutes talking to them. Three of them were students from a medical missionary training program and are doing health evangelism there at Malamulo. The fourth is in charge of the program, and he is surgeon at the hospital. He's a funny, energetic little guy with a huge smile constantly spread accross his face. Anyway, he invited me and the LIFE students to come visit. So, I talked to him and he said it would be perfectly alright if I just came and shadowed him. I could go on rounds with him visiting patients and watch him as he performs surgeries, etc... It's perfect!

Several months ago I had said that I would like to spend some time at a hospital before leaving Zambia. So, as I was lying in my hospital bed I remembered that and was like "Wait, this isn't what I meant!" haha... anywho looks like I may get to see both sides. So, it looks like its going to happen, just trying to work out some details. Then, when I get back Liz will be arriving, so we will visit Lushomo for a few days, then shortly after that I have to head back to the states.

In other news, as of yesterday I have started spending my afternoons at the Wellness Center. Its nice. The nurses at the clinic don't want me gone much, but I've managed to convince them to let me go under the condition that if they get swamped they'll call me back over. There are currently two guests up there. One lady is a stroke patient named Abigail, who's right arm is limp and leg isn't funcioning very well. She also has trouble speaking and has to learn how to read all over again. The other lady is a woman named Mercy. As far as I know her only reason for being there is she has a flu and a stressful job. She may have high BP or hypertension or something. I should ask.

So, I get to observe and help where possible. Yesterday was a Russian steam bath and enema (decided I won't be signing up for one of those any time soon). Today I helped give Abigail a whirlpool bath and helped her do some exercises on her right arm and leg. Its really nice to do hands on work with people rather than just count pills all day. And these ladies are so sweet! I'm especially fond of Abigail. Poor lady has trouble walking, dressing, can't tie her shoe laces, has difficulty communicating with us because she's still learning to talk (things we all take for granted) etc... but she is always so sweet and happy. She just smiles or laughs when she has trouble doing something. So yeah, I'm enjoying the Wellness Center, just wish I had started there sooner. Trying to soak up as much info as possible while there

Well thats all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment