Tuesday, May 5, 2009

RFI Clinic

Well, I sat around all weekend. Litterally. Darby wanted me to keep my leg elevated so I did. Didn't even venture out for church since it was a bit of a commute to get to church this Sabbath (it wasn't here at RFI). It was good though because I have some sermons on my laptop and listened to a couple. They were really good. The swelling went way down, almost to the same size as my other leg. Then I started working in the clinic on Monday. Swelling is going back up now... Gr.

Anywho, working in the clinic is pretty interesting. It is usually very slow, but it has been pretty busy the past couple of days. So, I've been counting a lot of pills, giving tetanus shots to pregnant women, doing paper work to close out the end of April, and yesterday I helped hold a baby's mouth open while the nurse excised its tongue. Poor thing couldn't stick its tongue out, which would cause speaking problems later. So, they just snip a bit under the tongue. It was interesting. I didn't realize babies had such strong jaws!

Paulene told me today that once my leg is healed Alan will let me go back out to the bush to help with the next crusade. I'm excited! Riverside is nice and all, but there's just something about the bush. The people are great, and freaky as it is to me, health talks and bible studies are really needed out there and its nice to be filling a need like that and see how your work is impacting people. Its also just nice to live simply. Sleeping in a tent, cooking over a charcoal fire, talking and reading for entertainment, surrounded by cows and goats and chickens and pigs and kids that are just dying to be played with. People think they have it made sitting in their big mansions with their big screen TVs and piles of money but hey, I'd take the African bush any day.

Darby, Alex, and Mark all left this morning. It was sad. They are all probably in the air or stuck in an airport somewhere right now. Tomorrow there are a couple of people coming from SAU, a guy and a girl. The girl will be staying in the house with me so I won't be alone for long. Anywho, not much else to tell so I'll say bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment