Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Speaking of Flexibility

Well, Sunday after posting that blog, all of us Student Missionaries got invited to take a boat down the Kafue river with this bunch of people that are here for the one day church that was put up yesterday. Anywho, there were some big guys in the Adventist world there. Dick Deurkson, who is the host for Maranatha Mission Stories, was there... shook his hand... that's right. Haha. Also the man who invented the one day church was there, didn't meet him though. And they brought their wives along too. They were nice ladies. So, the whole ride the men had their cameras out (you know, the kind with the mile long lenses), the women all sat in a corner and talked, and the student missionaries played Rook and Thump Thump (except me, I wanted to enjoy the scenery). It was a nice boat ride. We saw some locals fishing, one guy was transporting tomatoes in his little dug out, there were hippos, eagles, parrots, lots of other birds I can't remember the names of etc...

Monday morning Liz and I left for town at 5 hours. We dropped her at the airport at 6:30, then the driver (his name is Oliver, he's a local) went to get supper. I got dropped at immigration at 9:28 where I stood in line with a bunch of people until 9:30 waiting for the doors to be opened. I checked the book to see if my name was in it and low and behold it was! Meaning: Megan has her study permit. So, I got in the line waiting to see the guy that gives those out. The whole process took about an hour, standing in line, getting the permit, sigining papers, getting stamped, etc. Then I went back out and called oliver to let him know I was ready, then waited 1/2 hr for him to pick me up.

So, then Oliver dropped me at Manda Hall. This is the little bunch of stores we shop at for food, books, they have a subway etc... Anywho, he told me he had a few errands to run and he'd come pick me up at 14 hours. (He dropped me at 11 hours) So, I'm not a big shopper and wasn't too thrilled at the 3 hours I had to shop but figured I might as well become well acquainted with the book stores, after that I visited game (kind of like a miniature walmart, minus the food), got me some subway, checked out the Pep, went back to the book stores comparing prices this time, got my groceries at shopright, back to the book store (bought a book on birds), then sat at a table outside at about 14 hrs and waited... and waited... and waited... He didnt come until 16:30. That's 5 and a half hours. Good thing I had a book with me... Great Controversy, nice long read. I also pestered my dad by way of text messaging.

So it was an interesting day. I did meet a really nice Australian couple while sitting and waiting. They are volunteering in the Lusaka area at a place that teaches widows tailoring so that they can make a living for themselves. I liked them. And of course, Australians have great accents. Anywho, Oliver came and picked me up and we made about five more stops before leaving town. We passed a bunch of drunks going through Kafue. One was just lying around on the ground... goofy people. So by the time I got back to Riverside it had been 14 and a half hours since we left. Craziness.

Today I just studied the lessons for giving Bible studies and the powerpoints for Health Talks. Tomorrow we head back out to Lushomo, then Thursday we start off to the crusade. Should be interesting. I'm looking forward to it. I miss trapsing through the bush to visit people.

I went for a hike up on the ridge here at Riverside today. I saw a water monitor according to Alan. Or, as I like to call it: The mother of all lizards. If I had been thinking I would have gone all Steve Irwing and tackled it... all 12 inches of it. It was pretty cool.

Anywho... later peoples... pray for the crusade. From what I understand there are a lot of people in that area so yeah... pray they'll be reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment