Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm Here!

Alright peoples... I'm in Zambia! I got in last night, minus one of my peices of luggage. Fortunately, that's basically standard procedure here and its probably at the airport waiting for me now.
Tomorrow we go camping! I forget the name of the place we'll be at but we'll be having a clinic there Friday and then spending the day with them Saturday for church. Then Sunday and monday we'll be checking out lusyomo and making a trip to town to get everything we need. And either Tuesday or Thursday Liz and I move out into the bush (Alan's not sure yet because he'd kind of like to have us for a clinic Wednesday).
Anywho, so here's what I did today: Woke up at 6:00, went to breakfast, went to meet with Alan and get the scoop on what the schedules is looking like so far. He told me Liz was coming at 10 and he'd meet me at either the clinic or the house about 10 and give us a tour of campus or whatnot and I was free to wander around or do whatever in the meantime. So, I wound up at the clinic helping the oral surgeon who is here visiting his son (and doing a lot of tooth extractions).
I got the gloves, mask, goggles on and mostly just handed him gauze and instruments and whatnot and helped set up for the next patient, holding the flashlight, handing out toothbrushes and toothpaste, and eventually giving instructions to the patients on when to take the pain meds and sometimes amoxacillin. Stuff like that. Pretty cool stuff. Aaaaaannnnndddd I got to pull a tooth! Woot!
The clinic wound up open from 9-12, 1-7 today because there were so many teeth to pull. Then, after we stopped taking patients, a couple of the people who work here started to sneak people's names in. Jeremy (the guy who's dad is the oral surgeon) basically knows how to numb people and pull a lot of the teeth. So, he had me come out and hold a flashlight while he started numbing people out in the waiting area so his dad would have to see them... It was great. Good fun.
Well, tomorrow I need to be ready to leave at 6:30 so I'm thinkin' I'll go now.
-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment